Having to deal with fire and its consequences is stressful and terrifying. Once a fire has been stamped out, you are left with soot deposits and water leftovers, which may lead to mold growth if left untreated for a while.
Any delays may result in more complex and challenging problems. The first thing to do after your home was destroyed by fire is to contact a fire restoration company. Actually, the faster you start fire damage restoration the less it will cost you as it is always easier to prevent mold spreading than to deal with mold infestation.
No matter how devastating fire damage is, in most cases your property can be repaired and renovated. As with all disasters, fire throws off your guard. You do believe you installed all appliances properly and take precautions. So when a fire starts in the house as stressed as you are, you have to handle the situation correctly to avoid further damage and ensure the safety of the family.
The first thing you must do is call 911 to extinguish the fire. Once firefighters have tackled the fire, you should contact a restoration company to reinstate your home to its original condition.
Restoration experts have the proper training, experience, and equipment to deal with the aftereffects of fire and smoke damage.
Fire Damage Restoration Services
Obviously, fire damage restoration should be performed by qualified, trained, and licensed specialists. DIY solutions might be dangerous and lead to worsening the situation.
Fire damage restoration firms often provide emergency services, so the crew will arrive at your destroyed property in no time.
Note that post-fire repair services must embrace the evaluation of damage not only to the construction but flooring, walls, and roof, too. This is an essential step for the development of the house restoration plan.
While searching for a fire damage restoration service, you’d better pay attention to the following:
– A company provides emergency services. Well, the last thing you want is to get an appointment after a couple of days.
– The crew is IICRC-certified to deal with fire damage. This is the industry prerequisite for obtaining a license. Check that the company is licensed and fully certified.
– Equipment. Restoration works require special equipment, like dehumidifiers, IR mold detectors, water pumps, and protective gear for the crew.
– Track record. Reputable service providers have positive customer reviews. Look for third-party review platforms like Yelp and Trustpilot to get true testimonials and reviews.
Fire Damage: Common Causes
Rather than deal with the consequences of fire, it is better to prevent situations when the property can be damaged by fire. Unfortunately, not always we can prevent a disaster and eliminate all causes of fire but at least we can take preventive measures to avoid a house fire and to ensure the safety of the family and property.
Remember: Fire alarm and smoke detector systems should be fully functional and pass regular check-ups to ensure safety.
Based on the data from the NFPA, some of the most common causes that lead to house fires are:
- Around 40% of house fires are cooking-related. The cooking process and appliances are considered the most common cause of home fires and injuries. Ovens and stoves left unattended may lead to disaster. There are multiple highly flammable substances and kitchen utensils that can ignite from a tiny spark. Other kitchen and outdoor cooking appliances, such as electrical grills, barbeques, cookers, or toasters, might lead to fire when left forgotten and unsupervised.
- Heating devices represent a second common cause of home fires. Heating equipment, such as portable heaters, electrical blankets, wall heaters, gas fireplaces, and so on, may result in fires if faulty or left unattended next to flammable items.
- Electricity. Old and faulty wiring, broken outlets, and poorly installed lighting fixtures may lead to house fires. Proper qualified installation and maintenance may prevent a fire hazard. Add here multiple cases of home fires from faulty Christmas tree lights. Unplugging electrical devices when not used is a good preventive measure against home fire.
- Smoking & Candles. Statistics show that many disasters have happened from smoking in bed or lit candles left unattended. So many items in our homes are easily flammable. Educate children about safety measures when they approach matches, candles, or lighters. Avoid smoking at home for both health and house safety.
If, despite all the precautions, the worst happens, contact the professionals immediately to restore the house after a fire and smoke.
Fire Damage Restoration: Step-by-Step
Hiring a fire damage restoration service, it is good to understand the procedure and workflow. Once pros arrive at the place, they assess the damage and draw up a plan for the repair process.
Initial inspection and damage evaluation. This is an essential and very important stage that determines the scope of work to be done. Besides, a reliable contractor can evaluate the costs of repair works. Typically, the inspection doesn’t take much time because experienced pros are well aware that smoke and water may lead to the worsening of the property state threatening the safety.
Safety precautions. When the damage has been estimated, restoration experts should isolate destroyed and potentially unsafe areas. This step is essential to avoid any liability issues in case of injuries caused by fire-related hazards. The specialists should evaluate the safety of the construction because it might be necessary to leave the house until the restoration work is completed.
Debris Removal. When a fire is put out, your home will be full of soot deposits and smoke smell. Trained staff will remove the debris and make initial cleanup.
Pumping out water. If there is the standing water, qualified technicians equipped with water pumps will siphon off the water and dry out the area. Water must be removed as fast as possible to prevent any complications with the structure and mold growth.
Dehumidification and sanitization. Once standing water is pumped out, the crew will check the house for mold infestation. Often invisible to the human eye, mold can be as destructive as fire as it spreads fast weakening the construction and releasing hazardous toxins.
Equipped with dehumidifiers and IR mold detectors, pros will dry out walls and flooring and sanitize the affected area.
Damage repairs. Based on the damage level, qualified specialists will execute all the necessary repairs, including wiring, carpentering, plumbing, installing flooring and windows if required, and wall painting.
Cleanup & final inspection. Once the restoration process has been completed, the crew cleans up the area removing all unused materials and residual debris preparing your house for the final inspection.